Cherry Juice


I haven't been in the best of health lately. When I was in the states I was in the hospital with a few different stomach bacteria, one of which is called CDiff. It can be pretty serious if left untreated. I have taken lots of antibiotics and am finally doing much better. Now, I try to be much more cautious about what I eat. I try to stay away from oils and processed foods and stick to things that have been properly cleaned and cooked. This has made it hard for me to eat the way I used to. I used to eat anywhere with anyone! (Which was really fun and great for relationship building) Haitians are really honored and overjoyed when you share a meal with them, so I have always tried to do so when possible.

Yesterday I was in a rush in the morning and didn't have time to bring a boxed lunch to work with me. I went into a few homes to see what they were making, to see if I could snag a meal. The house mothers are so gracious and enjoy feeding me. They treat me like they are all the sweetest of grannies, and I am a freshman in college coming home for a home cooked meal- everyday! (Sorry, now I'm just bragging...) Anyway, I couldn't seem to find something that I thought wouldn't bother my stomach. Everything was rich sauces, chicken feet (I tend to stay away from those as a general rule...), or oily dishes.

Finally I checked in at one of the homes and my favorite mother had made white rice! (I'm allowed to play favorites because every time I say it I am referring to a different mother- they are all my favorites one day or another!) I asked her if she would mind if I scooped out a very small portion. She was delighted. She started skipping into the kitchen, pulling me along like a rag doll as she frolicked. We stood over the massive cast iron pots as she scooped out some rice. After the second ladle, I told her "sa bon, mèsi." (thats good, thank you) To which she responded with a belly laugh and told me toddlers could eat more than that, while she spooned on two full ladles more.

I thanked her and enjoyed my rice. She came up next to me again after a few minutes, and asked if I would like cherry juice that she had made. I explained that I am being super cautious about water since being sick. She giggled and said she assumed that, she made this batch with bottled water. My heart melted. I felt so honored and so blessed. I think she could see it in my eyes because she popped onto her tiptoes (she's shorter than I am) and gave me a tight neck hug and kiss and told me that is what family does.

I finished eating. I then won the battle to have her let me wash my dishes, throwing her own phrase back at her with a smile; that is what family does. She was rummaging around in the kitchen while I was washing the dish. We hummed Haitian hymns together as we both worked. My heart beat slowed, the way it does when you are at perfect peace.

I hugged her and told her I enjoyed this moment and it was more than I thought I would find while just looking for a simple bowl of rice (an action I do almost daily). She quickly produced a sealed container from behind her back. She smiled ear to ear and said, I packed up some cherries for you so you can make the juice again when you get home, I saw you liked it. I thanked her again and again. She said something to me in that moment that I would have never expected: Thank you for coming and asking me for food. Thank you for blessing me in that way. You have allowed me to love on you, my heart will be happy all week long. 

How often do we thank people for asking us for help? How often do we thank people for allowing us to bless them? How often do we see other people's need for us as a blessing? This humbled me, helped me see life from a new perspective, and showed me something new. Plus, I had some really amazing cherry juice.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts