Building a nest

Missionary life is a unique way to live. Missionary life is a constant cycle of knowledge. I am in such a vulnerable place in my mission work now in that I know how to do very few things. Most people in Haiti do not understand why I have yet to figure out some basic things, and thats because they don't realize that things are not like this everywhere. It is not everywhere that you beep and swerve to make it through the streets of potholes, vendors and livestock. It is not everywhere that you buy water bottles and water separately. It is not everywhere that you buy your cellphone minutes from a man outside the gas station in a manner that resembles some sort of back alley drug deal. It is definitely not everywhere where there are two currencies constantly being used with only one tangible type of bill. 
Haiti is different. Being in a country where I am accustomed to nothing and constantly soaking in how things are done is different from what I understand is a lot. 
When living in a culture there is a child-like excitement that I experience every time I figure something out. I bought cell phone minutes on my own and was so excited to tell everyone that I saw that I pulled up and yelled "Mwen bezwen la pou la!" (I need cell phone minutes) and the man came running over to my car and processed it for me. All the Haitians in the surrounding area giggling because they just witnessed a white girl yelling in Creole. Me smiling from ear to year because I can add this to the short (but growing!) list of things that I feel I can do alone in this country. 
So far I can drive certain places on my own, buy my own purified water, buy cell phone minutes, buy food at a local more American-ized store, get gas, and a few other things. I am going to tackle going to the market this weekend. I will take as many pictures as I can and hopefully learn a lot about how the market works. As I begin my life in Haiti I am reminded of a Haitian proverb that has always stuck with me: pitit pitit zwazo fè nich li.  Little by little the bird builds its nest. I thank you for your prayers and constant support as I make this life in Haiti. As I work to make sense of how to do things or what is expected of me, your prayers are crucial. I cannot wait to share my next Haitian accomplishment with you! 

Comments

  1. As I read this blog post the words of an older song came to mind that is also grounded in Scripture."But my God shall supply all my needs, according to His riches in glory. He will give His angels charge over me. Jehovah Jireh cares for me!" It is true that even provision for the words to buy cell phone minutes or the guts to drive the streets of Ayiti, come from the watch care of a loving, present, Heavenly Father. He also rejoices with you as you struggle and fall or as you struggle and succeed. He is ever faithful and I'm sure is very proud of His daughter who is putting feet to action in service to her King! Keep plodding through. Keep being transparent. His love never fails and is always enough! Continuing to lift you to the Lord of all Creation in prayer! Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts