cling

I have been reading through Psalms lately. I found a psalm that was all marked up in my bible, writing in different colors, writing in Creole, highlighter marks; all the tell tale signs that I have fallen in love with this verse already. Psalm 63:8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.


Then I starting thinking, why did I love this verse so much that it stood out by all the markings around it in my bible? I think thats because of the support it shows that God has for us.
 It provides us with an innocent image of a child clinging to their parent's leg, and that parent putting a supportive hand on the shoulder of the child. It provides us with the image of support under our footing, as though we are tiny children clinging to the branches of the tree as we climb, and God is that sturdy branch under our sneaker. It provides the feeling of running and jumping into a loved ones arms, wrapping your arms around their neck and they support you with their strong arms as they spin you in excitement to see you. 

The reason this verse is so encouraging is it shows the innocence, and the childlike relationship we can have with the Lord. It shows the need for the Lord. It shows us clinging to the Lord in the middle of the night as the thunder and lightning roll through, and the Lord squeezing our hand. It shows our Heavenly Father saying, "I've got this." "I will uphold you" "You cannot fall, child, for I am right here". I think thats why I have always loved this verse. 

But now I realize, all that is true about this verse, but there is more. It is not just us as innocent children climbing trees or clinging to our parent's pant legs. It was written: My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. What is the first thing that WE need to do? The part that falls on us in this verse? The clinging. We need to do the clinging. 

God is always going to do the upholding. He is honest, He is true. It is us who often forget what we were supposed to bring to the table. We are supposed to bring the clinging. The Lord wants us to cling to him, and He wants to uphold us. 

I looked up some definitions of the word cling: 
remain persistently or stubbornly faithful to something.
adhere or stick firmly or closely to; be hard to part or remove from.
be dependent on someone emotionally.

It is so easy for us to cling to humans isn't it? Why is it so hard for us to cling to God? We cling to friends who are toxic, we cling to friends to are awesome, we cling to boyfriends who are no good for us, we cling to siblings who love us- why is it that it is so easy for us to cling to everybody else? Sometimes we cling to others to the point of bothering them, but God, who wants us to cling to him, we often times want nothing to do with... 

When something goes wrong often times we call our support systems. We call our best friend, we call our mother, our father, our sibling, our co-worker. This verse is saying, call God. Don't cling to someone who has the same human problems. Don't cling to people who have no control over the situation. Should we support others? Absolutely. Should we rely on friends and family? Yes. Im not saying these relationships are not meaningful or Godly. I am saying maybe save the true clinging, the real clingy clinging for the Lord. 

I am making it my homework, and maybe you would like to as well, to cling to the Lord. To do my part of the two part equation. I am going to cling to Him, because I know He will uphold me. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts