Girl Power

As a woman, I love to find strong woman role models wherever I am. I always look for women who are strong, independent, gracious, humble and fun. I often think of the woman that I hope to be, the role model that I could be for others. I think of the qualities that form a strong woman, and look for ways to better myself.

I grew up with an amazing mother. My mother is strong, independent, fearless and always knows what to do. Then I moved to Haiti and found a Haitian mother. She is honest, caring, stern, opinionated and carefree. Then I gained a Haitian older sister, one of our new house Moms. She is raw, broken, deeply compassionate and strong.

God uses the women in my life to teach me many things, but I didn't necessarily expect what He is currently teaching me. A bit of dependency.

Maybe it is an American thing- to grow up and want to do everything yourself. To want to be independent. I grew up in an atmosphere that was encouraged to be a strong, independent women. I am forever grateful for that. I would consider myself, while often times a bit unraveled, a strong independent woman just as I had grown up saying I would become.

God has been busy using the women that He put in my life to show me that strength and independence have their place. But there is immense beauty in community. There is a love so deep in not only helping others but accepting help. There is a strength in needing others.

Sometimes being a strong independent woman is not the strongest choice. Sometimes it is best to lean on others. We don't need to always have it together. God did not put you on this earth all by yourself for a reason. There is no shame in reaching out, no shame in leaning on someone, and no shame in trusting someone to assist you.

God doesn't want us to do everything on our own. God made us to be together. He made us to support, guide and encourage each other.

Today, my role models are the same women that they always have been. However the Lord is showing me their qualities in a new light. I see how leaning on a husband, a friend, a sister doesn't make you less of an independent woman. I see how confiding in a friend and crying is not weakness but a beautiful vulnerability. I see how having a friend come and clean for you while you are sick, doesn't mean you cannot do it yourself, it just means someone loves you deeply to lend a hand.

In America often times we are pressured to "do it all". Haiti isn't like that, and that is something that is so beautiful to me. I see now that what we as Americans see as weakness is really just letting someone else in. What we frame as "our own responsibility" sometimes doesn't have to be. There is a lot of opportunity and love waiting in those areas that we are often times unwilling to invite someone into.

God has shown me, 'lean on others. Let them lean on you too. I didn't create you as a single unit but rather for you all to function together in unity.' I hear the term 'girl power'. Instead of that meaning one woman who is strong and empowered; what if we took that to mean that women power together to support, guide and empower each other? What a movement that would be. What a support we would feel and what a love we would experience.

I see now that depending on others is not a weakness but rather a strength. So be so raw and open with others to ask for help when needed, and then to support them when they are at that point as well. So ladies, go out there and support one and other. Girl Power!


Comments

Popular Posts