Dancing with Elephants.

I read a little fable today that helped me bring my actions into perspective. Sometimes I can lack trust in God- not on purpose, but because my gut instinct is not to let go. I like to feel prepared and in control - with missions I am not in control. Sometimes I feel God wants me to learn that dancing with me can be like dancing with an elephant.
The fable I read today goes like this:
There was an elephant and a mouse, they were great friends! One day they were having such a great day that they decided they should throw a party with all of their friends. They were laughing, joking, eating, dancing and having a great time. It was a great party. Once the guests started to leave the elephant looked for the mouse. He looked all around wondering why the mouse wasn't there. Then he finally looked under his foot and saw the mouse who got trampled in all of the elephant's dancing from the party.
This is what I feel like I can do sometimes. Things feel like they are going great and then I take the reigns and begin to do things my way. I am not spending all of my time listening for God's voice and end up dancing crazy on my own. This is where the trouble starts and I squish the mouse.
I think we all need to learn that because something is going well doesn't mean we can handle it on our own; it should pull us that much closer to looking for guidance and strength towards what comes next.
I am so lucky to have a God who is forgiving, and understanding that I am able to make these problems for myself and know that he will still be there for me on the other side to pat me on the back, and say "maybe next time you'll learn that you can't do it alone, and that is okay. You do need me, and I am here for you."
It is great that as humans we can grow and learn and day by day I will be able to hand God more and more control. And I pray that I will learn to let him lead so we can be dancing together two happy mice.

Comments

Popular Posts