My people.

Ive learned many things over the past few months. I am close friends with a lot of teenagers here. They are my people, my tribe, my family. Being in such close relationships with teens can be difficult but also can help my personal growth. They take work, but let me tell you the work is worth it. 
There are days when I have heard my last inappropriate joke, my last cuss word, my last sassy comment and I just ask God why He has paired these weird, inappropriate humans with me. But then I smile, knowing I wouldn't change a single one of these kids for anything. 
They just get me. 
They are unexpectedly deep, intuitive, caring and honest. 
They say whatever pops into their head; the good, bad, silly, weird and beautiful alike 
They are slow to trust but quick to defend me. 
They are bluntly honest, and expect the same in return. 

These kids have taught me all sorts of clichés are true. The secrets to happiness all lie in trust in God, being brutally honest, loving like you don't care if your heart is broken, and to stick up for the people you love. 
People say it takes a special person to work with teenagers, (especially the kind that have two languages to make fun of you in that you aren't fluent in... ) but Im starting to think I might just be that person. I am an introvert who is energized by these kids. Their free spirits and adventurous way of life are contagious. They have their whole future ahead of them and they have beautiful, legitimate, and meaningful goals. They dream of changing this often broken country, they aspire to greatness and to making a Godly difference. 

Somedays I just stare at these sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen year olds sitting around me. We are listening to music in both English and Creole. We are discussing life, love, Jesus. And it is in those moments that I can't stifle a laugh, a smile pulls at my face that I can't shake away- God has provided me my people. These kids need someone to love them, someone to show them attention, someone to just chill with them. 

I cannot even begin to put into words what an honor it is to be that person to them. To be a person that not only they think understands them, but someone who actually might. I love these kids like they are my siblings and God has given us a bond that I cannot begin to thank Him for. Some people search this world for a purpose, I think I just got handed twenty purposes. These kids have given me a drive to stay in their lives. A drive to help them reach their goals. A drive to hold their hand, be jumping up and down on the sidelines cheering their accomplishments, or hugging them in their disappointments. 

There are endless lessons to be learned here from these kids, I am excited to be here one day at a time growing and learning with them. Oh how sweet a life God has given me. 


Comments

Popular Posts