Reverse culture shock

I am flying back to America and it is weird. It is weird how once you immerse yourself in another culture it can make your own seem foreign. I know that I understand what is going on around me, because it is a familiar sight. However at the same time it feels so very unfamiliar. It really is the small things that are throwing me off: (These are not meant to be judgmental points about America at all, merely observations)

It seems weird to purchase things and be so disconnected from the merchant. In Haiti when you buy something you are directly impacting the merchant. The person selling the goods will be impacted from the sale, it is interesting in America that this is rarely the case. The kid behind the register at starbucks truly doesnt care about my satisfaction with my latte, and why should he? That $4.00 doesnt impact his family at all. He is not interested in me becoming a long lasting customer, and he could care less if I come back the next day. It feels cold and impersonal to buy things in America.

Hot water feels weird. I don't think I like it anymore.

People don't say hello as they pass you. Everyone is in their own little world and seems to be drowning in their own thoughts. People seem far. They are on their phones, or connected to a tablet. They are not talking to the people around them. They are not greeting everyone who passes them. People are maintaining their bubbles of personal space.

Hearing people speaking English is so weird.

People complain a lot. Haitians hardly complain, and if they do it is in a persuasive way as a technique in an argument. They hardly ever complain just to complain. Everywhere I have turned today people are complaining. (granted airports are notoriously annoying- so I really can't extend this point to everywhere. Airports do evoke more complaining than the average environment) Haiti has taught me to embrace whatever you circumstances are and to always be thankful.

It is weird how I knew everything was like this, but I had never seen it through this lens. I had never thought things weren't like this, but I had never really thought twice about it. America feels cold in more ways than one. I am excited to get to my family and see how this time here progresses. I am excited to share with you how the transition is. Nobody said it was going to be easy. I am amazed at how very acclimated I was to Haiti. The fact that my own culture is surprising to me feels weird. I am beyond thankful for everyone in Haiti who has helped me to adapt and really become part of Haitian culture.

Here's to a month in America! Let the reverse culture shock continue!


Comments

  1. TRUTH. I hear you sister. We're rowing in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts