Thankful Series- Culture

Something I had not really considered before I started traveling was why people truly travel. I know God called us to all the nations, but why? I think before I started traveling, I thought people traveled to 'see things'. Now I realize that 'seeing things' is really the least important part. It is experiencing things, understanding things and then letting that have an impact on you.



Living in another culture has been life changing. I honestly didn't realize how much of what I ate, thought, read, imagined was culture. There is so much depth in understanding another culture, a depth that gives you perspective on your own culture and your own beliefs. It makes you step back from some things and adapt your new cultures perspectives. It also makes you hold stronger values that you already had that maybe are not seen the same way in your new culture.

Before coming to serve in Haiti I went to trainings about 'culture shock'. Honestly at some level I always thought this was kind of garbage. I had in my mind, yes things can be surprising but is it really that big of a deal that we sit around and learn about it for months? Let me tell you- yeah, it kinda is.

Culture is everything about how people act and how people think. In your culture can people criticize you? Can they tell you what you could be doing differently? Now can they do all of that to your face, or should it be done to a third party person?
Can they comment on how you're raising your kids? Can they tell you what medicine to take? Can you wear any clothing you want? Are there parts of your body you should always keep covered? Can men do all of the tasks that a women does and visa-versa?
Wow, its enough to think about to give you a headache thats for sure. But you know what, it is one of the things I am most thankful for here in Haiti.

I am thankful for the culture.
The culture is very different than American culture.  Haitians are very interpersonal, they check in often and want to come see you when you are sick. When you see someone you know you must say hi, ask how their family is, their children. You can call someone just to ask how they are, or if they have eaten. It is normal to come unannounced to someone's home just because you want to see how they are doing.

This all sounds nice, but play this out in your head:
Your sick, a bad case of strep throat. Your hair is up in a two-day knot, your wearing pjs. Dishes are undone, soup is split on the stove. Your just laying around watching Netflix and drinking gatorades.

American values tell us, we should be alone- we might be contagious. We are gross, we will shower and get to the dishes when we are feeling better.

Haitian values tell us, expect everyone you know to be calling or stopping by. So, when I first experienced that I was experiencing 'culture shock'. As an American I was off put by this, leave me to be sick, I saw it as bothering me.

But then I asked some questions, prayed and thought it through, why are they doing this? Because they love me. They want to show me that they love me and how better to do that then offering what they can in a moment of need. People coming by to visit, see how I am doing. Friends coming by to *cue horrified American face here* wash my dishes and clean up my spilt soup and old gatorade bottles. At first that was mortifying, but I sat down with my friend and began to understand. She is not grossed out that I am sick, she realizes that doing dishes or mopping would be hard for me and thats exactly why she is here. Wow, this culture threw me on my back with gratefulness and perspective. Things that used to horrify me are now some of my biggest honors. Let me tell you, now, no matter the state of my home when someone knocks on my door I happily let them in.

I am not saying one culture is good and the other is bad, in fact they both have their pros or cons. But something I have learned about culture is you need to understand culture in order to be able to think outside of culture and find out what is biblical. For me, when deciding which culture I will function in, in that given situation, I think about which culture Jesus would prefer to function in. For me, I don't think Jesus would be afraid to wipe up some soup and soak some pots.

So, back to the point, what am I thankful for? Culture. I am thankful for the opportunity to immerse myself into a new culture. I am also thankful for the beauty of Haitian culture. I am thankful for American culture and values that I have. I am honored to have emerged with an understanding of both, and an ability to admire the good and challenging of each culture. I am even more thankful for how it has allowed me to see another piece of who God is. I am so very thankful for culture.

Comments

Popular Posts