The darker it gets the easier it is to see the stars.

I have learned a lot so far here in Haiti. There have been a lot of mixed emotions and a lot of struggle along with this amazing journey. One phrase has stuck in my head throughout this experience: The darker it gets the easier it is to see the stars. I am unsure of where I have heard this but it has been a phrase that has stuck with me throughout this adventure.
It was great last week to have my family here. The team from Valley was such a blessing to have as I was adjusting to Haiti. As they pulled away in the bus, I had been crying after saying goodbye to them. Edline, one of our house moms here with kids alive just puts her arms around me as I waved goodbye to my family. I realized that even though I could only understand every few words that she said, it still was good to know that I do have family here. This was definitely one bright shining star in what felt like a very dark sky. 
I have also been able to spend more time with the older kids, helping them with their English, watching movies, and reading stories in English. This is one of my favorite things. While I do love playing with the younger kids, the older kids really have my heart. They are many bright shining stars. I enjoy being able to joke around with them and be able to use sarcasm and have them understand what I am talking about. They are getting really good with their English, it has been fun to speak “CrEnglish” (Creole + English) with them. We both seem to learn a lot in the process. 
Another thing that has been a light for me is to have started teaching. It is great to be able to start teaching the kids English and Crafts. I will most more pictures from our English and Craft classes later in the week when the internet will hopefully be better. It has been great to start teaching, and also a bit scary. My creole has been good one on one but I get so nervous in front of a class with everyone listening to my Creole. I hope that I will begin to feel more comfortable with this. 

This has been an extremely hard couple of weeks for me, and I have had many times where I was really struggling. Every single one of these kids has been a bright shining star to me, helping me to see the positives in every single day. I love each of these kids more than I could ever imagine.

Comments

Popular Posts