Church

There are many new experiences that I enjoy in Haiti and Haitian church is definitely one of them. I think I like it so much because it puts me out of my comfort zone a bit, but still allows me to be part of a Haitian cultural experience. There are a lot of things that take some getting used to.  I came to church an hour early today with all of the kids. They arrive an hour early for Sunday school, today I just sat in the church while they were in Sunday school and waited. When I have my usual pack of kids around me in public nobody usually approaches me, when I am alone it is a different story. Many people come up to me, if even to only say a few words in Creole to see my comprehension level. Many smaller kids sneak behind me just to stroke my hair out of curiosity of the texture, which I think is so cute. And others just stop dead in their tracks to stare for a minute or two. Before church people are broken into smaller groups listening to "mini sermons". I am always amazed at just how spiritual this country can be. Today I am especially excited for church.  The concept of being excited for Haitian church can sometimes sound silly because it is usually about two to two and a half hours sitting on the most uncomfortable benches in some of the worst heat  I have ever experienced, sardined in as tight as we can fit. But nonetheless, today I am very excited for this experience because our high schoolers are singing. One group sings every week at church, they do two or three songs. They all asked me multiple times to make sure I wasn't going to sleep in or forget to come today, which was too cute. It's always sweet to see our high schoolers as that young kid they are just hoping you'll come to see their show or soccer game, since often times they are put in more adult roles at home. Church is beginning so I will wrap this up, hopefully I can post again soon! 
                    Cassidy 

Comments

Popular Posts